Happened to me also, go to the RPM folder on the Mandrake disk and reinstall
the server for ftp and telnet.....

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Morrell, Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mandrake Newbie Mail list (E-mail)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [newbie] Telnet went bye-bye after update.
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 10:01:15 -0500

I'm still relatively new at Linux (1 month) but I started out with LM 6.0. I
recently ran the update program and it updated some stuff like Netscape,
init-scripts, etc. Previously I could telnet and ftp to my linux box. Now I
cannot seem to telnet or ftp to my linux machine from my windows box or from
the internet. However, I am able to ping from both. I just get a message
that it cannot connect to host. What could have changed since I did the
update? IPCHAINS is set as follows (left it wide open). Also tried with
INPUT & OUTPUT set to REJECT.
INPUT -> ACCEPT
OUTPUT -> ACCEPT
FORWARD -> ACCEPT
I set this rule as well: "IPCHAINS -A -i ppp0 -j MASQ" which allows my
windows box to surf and such.
Anyone have any ideas what went bad?