Hi Andrew,

Andrew M George wrote:

> Hi,
> I've just started to try to configure sendmail on my Linux PC at home (rather
> than just using Kmail to grab mail direct from my ISP)...and I'm having a
> problem getting the mail into my user accounts.
> Fetchmail gets it OK...and I've used the install-sendmail script someone
> suggested a while back...but I keep getting USER UNKNOWN messages when sendmail
> tries to deal with the mail.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions on where to look?
>
> Regards
> Andrew

Here is my .fetchmailrc generated by install-sendmail.

poll "mail.arcor-ip.de" proto pop3 user "peter.heckert" with pass ":-) :-)" is
"imap.peter" here forcecr smtpaddress localhost

"peter.heckert" is the username for my ISP's pop3 server.
"imap.peter" is my local imap account which receives the mail.
Please compare this with your .fetchmailrc.

There could be a problem if you have upcase characters in your username.
AFAIK sendmail needs special treatment to handle upcase letters in names.

Also be careful when you are using aliases. When I used install-sendmail the
first time,I typed a wrong alias.
While install-sendmail rewrites anything when it is run more than once,it
will not delete entries added in /etc/aliases. I had some problems until I
recognized this problem.

HTH.

Peter

--
Nur in /var/log/messages steht die Wahrheit.