Commenting it out just stops rc.local from overwriting it at boot time.
The penguin is still in there.  Try

echo -n > /etc/issue

This will clear out /etc/issue.  Next time you logout, you should get only
a login prompt.  Then, when you reboot next, you'll not get the penguin.

I don't think this is the solution you're looking for, though.  Before
showing the login prompt, something (mingetty?) clears the screen.  This
will wipe out the last of the boot messages in any case, whether or not
the penguin is displayed.

-Matt Stegman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>