Thanks Axalon,
After I sent the initial email I checked in the kde rpms
and found the initscripts had not been updated so I
uninstalled them there(shouldn't have, should have gone
to prompt, leaving xwindows because it said some files
were in use). I then left xwindows and installed the latest
version 'initscripts-4.23-35mdk.i586.rpm. To answer your
question , today, I ran rpm -U initscripts-4.23-35*.rpm
and it returned "package initscripts-4.23-35mdk is
already installed"

Now, since that I have tried to recompile again and now
during "make bzImage" it hangs on the language thing
even though the lanquage "English" is clearly denoted.
It then wants to manually step through the configuration
1 step at a time (bullsh*t I said).

So now I just want to know how to properly uninstall the
new kernel ( I assume just the 5mb part, not the headers
and source, which I'm hoping will still be OK?)

Then I'll just do a reinstall and do the "depmod" after the
completion of all the make functions and hopefully this
will clear it up

Thanks,
Larry