On Thu, 09 Dec 1999, Eric Mings wrote:
> I have read some information about x window being a server and client
> program. I was under the impression the server and client could exist on
> seperate computers. Is it possible to access a machine across a network
> as root running K desktop and x windows? I clearly do not fully
> understand how this works. I have used telnet some but that is pretty
> limited for what I want.

It works for me.  You can run either as user or root.  Running K and MKD
6.0 on my notebook, hidden away in my room.  My front end is a Solaris
machine at my workplace.  Just telnet in and run your apps.  I'm not
referring to just console type commands.  You can run apps like
Netscape and kmail (which I'm using now).

A friend of mine, right beside me, is running Exceed and SecureCRT on
his Windows box and accessing his Linux box in the same way.

You may have to play with your DISPLAY env variables.

> I would like to be able to colocate one of my
> machines (running Mandrake 6.1 and K desktop) at an ISP and need to know
> if I can access it for administration across the net with X windows/K
> desktop. Could someone please clarify this for me. Thanks.

Have not run it via an ISP, but you should consider running some form
of ssh, if you do.  I run secure shell even though all computers are on
the same network.

HTH

--
Ronald