David wrote:

I'm trying to update my sound drivers so I can use my SB Live! sound
card and I unpacked the file but then it says I have to do a 'make
depend' then 'make clean' then just 'make' but none of them
work...Any suggestions?

Greetings and such.  I, myself being a newbie, had the same problem as
you.  I
did however manage to get the silly thing to work by following the
directions
included with the readme that gets unzipped from the tarball.  Note
however
that I found them to be a little confusing but by stumbling around I
finally
figured it out.  Let's see if we can keep you from having the same
problem.
I'm going to assume you have very little knowledge (like myself) so
forgive me
if I go into too much detail, it's easier than assuming too much.

NO RECOMPILING OF THE KERNEL SHOULD BE NEEDED, so don't panic. 8-)

1.  log in as root ( I selected KDE as my login simply because I could
easily
open windows and move file around)

2.  download the latest tarball from  http://opensource.soundblaster.com
to a
temporary folder in your home

3.  disconnect from the Internet (don't want to stay connected to long
for
security reasons)

4.  from the KDE menu bar open your home directory and select the folder
where
you downloaded the tarball

5. with the cursor over the window press "CTRL + T" to open a terminal
window
(or open it from the file pull down menu)

6.  in the new terminal window type "tar xvzf
emu10k1.whatever.the.name.is".
this should create a sub folder which will contain a whole bunch of
files.
the 2 important ones to you will be the readme and a "makefile", sorry I
think
that's the name.

7.  tag the readme file and in there will be a whole lotta scary words
like
recompile and kernel - IGNORE THEM.  just leave this window open so you
can
follow the directions.

8.  using the "UP ARROW" buttons in your home window back out to the
"root"
directory and find the "/etc" folder and then the "/etc/conf.modules"
file.
right mouse click it and tag it.  this should open an editor window and
you
can proceed screw things up from there (just kidding).

9.  do a "save as" from the file pull down menu to give yourself a back
up,
something like old.conf.modules and close the window.

Very important here.  if you don't close the file after saving and
editing it
the computer will NOT recognize the saved information - this cost me
several
days of head banging trying to figure out what I did wrong.

10. refresh the folder window and select the "conf.modules" file. this
shooed
open the file in a new editor window.

11. the readme file tells you to remove the lines referring to
"soundcore".
go ahead and remove them (if you've got any, it is possible you may not
if you
haven't installed any other sound cards) then add the "alias
-something-something- sound" line at the end of the file per the
"readme"
file.

12. next add the two lines referring to the "insmod
-something-something" (can
you tell I have a poor memory and am not sitting in front of my linux
box
8-)).

13. save the file and CLOSE the editor, you're done with the scary part.

the
tool bar.  next select the temp folder with the downloaded tarball file,
then
the "emu10k1" sub folder  until you see the "readme" and "makefile"
files
again.  now open a terminal window (CTRL + T).  important, you must be
in the
sub folder when doing the next step.

15. now you're ready to compile the sound module

        a.  type "make"
        b.  type "make clean"
        c.  type "make install"

the "make install should take care of copying the "emu10k1.0" file the
proper
directory for you as instructed by the "readme" file.

16. YOU'RE DONE.

I always logout and reboot but I'm certain there is a better way (like I
said
I'm new to this)

when you log back on you should be able to get sound ( watch the startup

listing to see if any modules fail ).  IF YOU DON'T then there is one
more
step we need to take.

17. goto the sub folder that contained the "readme" and "makefile" and
select
the "makefile".  this should open a new editor.

18. in the very beginning are a couple of line and I believe the third
line
contains a reference to "versions".  it is currently set to "versions =
n",
change the "n" to a "y" and save the file and CLOSE it.  rerun step 15
above.
this should fix the problem.

good luck and drop me a line if I left any thing out.

--
Joseph S. Gardner
Senior Designer / Technical Support