>Recently I installed a Promise Ultra66 IDE controller and also a
Quantum
>Fireball Plus KA 18.1 GB hard drive (connected to the Promise Ultra66).
>couple weeks later, I installed an HP CD Writer Plus 9100i.  After
>installing this hardware, my Windows NT Explorer no longer refreshes
the
>diskette between disk changes.  I have the same problems under Win95
Windows
>Explorer.  I do not have this problem under the Linux Mandrake OS.

Matt,

I don't have an answer, but I understand the problem. The HP drivers
have a negative affect on the floppy disk drivers in NT. (I don't use
95, so I don't know about it.) I have, so far, not found a solution to
this. It is absolutely a software issue in that the OS no longer sees
the "disk change" line toggle from the hardware. But I haven't been able
to fix it and I have been able to duplicate that installing the HP
software in several IBM portables renders the floppies inoperative. The
reason you can still copy "file1" is because the OS caches the file in
memory, and since it no longer sees the disk change signal it just does
the "copy" from the cache. You can force an update by trying to access
the disk with a write, and the FAT will be wrong so the OS will update.
But that is a miserable pain in the butt.

Perhaps with that as a starting point someone else can point both of us
in the right direction.

Michael