On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Antoniou, Stylianos wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I installed VMware and I am running Windows98 in the virtual machine. I
> tried to configure the network between the real and the virtual machine as
> host only. I added the interface line in the samba.conf with the IP address
> of the real machine in my college network and a randomly selected IP address
> 192.168.0.1. The netmask was set to 255.255.255.0. In the virtual machine
> the components added to the network configuration in the control panel are:
> Client for Microsoft Networks, AMD PCNET Family Ethernet Adapter (PCI-ISA)
> and TCP/IP (where I chose a static IP address 192.168.03 with a netmask of
> 255.255.255.0). I also used DHCP to get the IP address dynamically.
> When I go to the Network Neighborhood and try to open the Entire Network
> icon, I get a message that it is unable to browse and that the nework I not
> accessible. What is wrong?

I don't use host only (I use bridged) so I'm not sure exactly how much
host only allows you to do but I think it may not allow you to use the
network neighborhood.
Secondly, you're supposed to use the actual ip address assigned to windows
in your smb.conf (not a randomly selected one) but this should only affect
Linux' ability to see windows. You can get the ip address under windows by
running 'winipcfg' (if you haven't already).
Thirdly, what type of network are you on? If it's netbios running on
tcp/ip, what you have installed will work but if it's some other type of
network (i.e. IPX/SPX, etc) you may have to install extra software under
windows.

The error message you got makes me think that either host only networking
doesn't let you use the network neighborhood or that windows isn't
configured right (you may need to tell windows the ip for your firewall
server... i.e. wins, socks, etc)
Hope this helps.

DvB