I just installed Linux-Mandrake 6.1 on my sons machine, and have the
following problems:

1st     I believe that there is a conflict between his Creative Vibra128 PCI
sound card and the 3C509 NIC because if I run sndconfig the soundcard is
detected fine, and plays the test sound but afterwards if I ping my network
the computer TOTALLY locks up, only a   hardware reset works.
The NIC works fine as long as I don't try and run sndconfig.

2nd     the update icon doesn't work in KDE.

3rd     I used fips to make room for Linux (he has Windoze98 as well on the
machine) and now, when he boots into win98 the desktop appears and then the
computer freezes for about 4 minutes, then is OK.
In the control panel the Linux partition is visible and If I click on it,
once again the computer freezes for about 4 mins.
I believe that maybe Windoze98 is trying to access this partition at the end
of it's boot and that is what is causing the freeze.
Does anybody have any ideas what to do about it? (and don't tell me to ditch
the windoze please, I would if I could but I can't).

Awaiting your words of wisdom:

Mike Perry
R&D Dep. Netafim Magal.

<<<<Linux -- the Ultimate Windows Service Pack>>>>