Axalon Bloodstone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, phins13 wrote:
>

>> >Why would anyone want to run a wins server off a dynamic ip? seems to me
>> >it's more work for no benifits.
>> Maybe it's the only choice they have:) For the longest time I could only use DHCP
>to connect to the NT network here at work. Now that I have a static IP it doesn't
>matter naymore.
>> SA
>
>Right but i highly doubt you Personal workstation was running the WINS
>server for the network, odds are it was on one of those NT Servers :)
>
>Basicly i was saying if it's not the WINS server for your network ignore
>it or turn it off
>
>--
>MandrakeSoft          http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
>                                        --Axalon

Ok, but in my smb.conf file, I did not have wins server set. Yet nmbd/smbd still
failed at boot with DHCP. Granted I don't know alot about networks, but I do know that
I could not get samba to work correctly with DHCP. And after about three months of
this I was fortunate enough to get a static IP address and nmbd stopped failing at
boot. I've scoured the samba lists for an answer to this problem, that seems to have
happened to a few people, but know one ever came up with the answer to fix it or if it
is even fixable.
thanx,
sa
------