On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Joe Marcom wrote:
> Like many newbies, I have had stubborn problems, which I wound up
> "solving" by doing a complete re-install.  I have noted some odd
> variations in my setups, mostly with KDE and internet access. Sometimes,
> I can get my ISP, but Netscape won't work; or just the mail part won't
> work.  I have been able to connect as "root" but not user, as "user but
> not as "root" (??), and have had PAP authentication fail no matter
> what I try.  Am I alone in this quandary, or have others reported
> similar problems?  My printer and sound problems have eventually traced
> back to "pilot error", but this...??!!

Well, if you can get connected with KPPP, you probably have
"autoconfigure hostname from this IP" checked in the KPPP setup.
Uncheck this and that should take care of the Internet apps not
working. FWIW, this IS a known problem and IS in the archives
somewhere... I suggest you familiarize yourself with the archives.