I am re-sending this message as the first time I sent it there were heaps of
problems with the newbie mailing list and I received no replies.
This time I am more hopeful :-)

I just installed Linux-Mandrake 6.1 on my sons machine, and have the
following problems:

1st     I believe that there is a conflict between his Creative Vibra128 PCI
sound card and the 3C509 NIC because if I run sndconfig the soundcard is
apparently
detected fine, and plays the test sound but afterwards if I ping my network
the computer TOTALLY locks up, only a   hardware reset works.
The NIC works fine as long as I don't try and run sndconfig.

2nd     the update icon doesn't work in KDE.

Awaiting your words of wisdom:

Mike Perry
R&D Dep. Netafim Magal.

<<<<Linux -- the Ultimate Windows Service Pack>>>>