I have just purchased the Mandrake 6.5 with Linux Ver 2.2.13-4mdk ..
everything seems to work okay except when I try to boot with a newly
compiled kernel.

I did a configuration (make config)

then

make dep clean zlilo modules modules_install

then

copied the new compresed kernel, System.map to the /boot directory
after renaming the original.. as an extra precaution I made a floppy from
the new image (dd if=/boot/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0)

edited lilo to add the new kernel (ie)

an extra image=/boot/vmlinuz (etc)
keeping the original inplace..now have 2 - linux and linux2

here's the problem

no matter how I try to boot from the new image i can't

after loading and uncompressing the kernel image i get a constant string of

KMOD: Failed to load /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-646c, errno 8

or something to that effect.. (it screams by in a continual steam too fast
to read)

any suggestions?

thanks tom