Hello.
My system recently was powered off while running X. (Uh oh)

After reboot and (auto)running fsck I seem to be missing some of the kde files (system
complains about kdmrc during boot up). I believe I can recover from that by reloading
the rpm for KDE (Please correct me if I'm wrong). I can still run X pretty much OK
when I finally get to a login.

More difficult is the problem during the rest of the booting process.  After the
system reports that it is "starting hard drive optimizations" the HD light comes on
for a few seconds, then it stops and the system just sits there forever.  If I let it
sit long enough it will become totally unresponsive and has to be powered down.  I've
been able to get it to continue with the boot process by hitting Ctrl-Z which causes
it to continue on through the rest of the boot process and gets me to a login (level
3).

It appears that some of my setup (?rc?) files must be corrupted and the system hangs
trying to execute one of them but I don't even know where to begin to look and worse
yet when I did look in some of the startup scripts and directories it was like reading
ancient runes.

Any wizards out there to help me decipher? :)
Where can I learn more?

Help.

Free Internet Access from AltaVista: Get it, share it & win!
http://freeaccess.altavista.com/pika/www/initweb.jsp