On Mon, 27 Dec 1999, you wrote:
> Just a quick query here :-)
>
> If I want to add an additional Hard Drive to an existing mandrake 6.1 box,
> can I just partition it as a single linux native partition and then will it
> be detected on boot and be usable?, or is it more complicated (or simple)
> than that?.

You can partition and format it, but you'll need to add it
to your /etc/fstab, I think. BTW, to format it, you use the
mke2fs command as follows:
mke2fs /dev/hdXX (drive letter and partition number)
For example, if you have ONE big partition on your second
IDE drive, it would be "mke2fs /dev/hdb5." Why hdb5, you
ask? Simple...it's an extended partition (versus Primary
partition...) and in Linux the extended partitions start at
partition #5 and go up from there on each drive. :-)
The only difference with SCSI is that SCSI is sdxx instead
of hdxx.
        John