Hi again --

I would like to thank those of you who told me how to get into XF85Config to
reconfigure the X Server to work with my new
mouse/video card combination.  At least the machine works correctly in :"pure UNIX"
(i.e. black-screen non-graphic) mode.  I
am confident that I know what sort of PS/2 mouse I have (and when I issue startx,
moving the mouse does move the X on the
screen), and I am confident in the video memory on my card and on the settings for my
monitor.

HOWEVER, when I issue the startx command, the screen turns the gray
color/cross-hatched pattern with the mouse's X that
one sees when one first configures the X server.  The KDE does not come up, and one
loses control of the machine.  It doesn't
hang, but you can't do anything.  Typing does nothing, and you can't open a shell.

Can anybody advise what's happening?

Thanks.

Pete Clapham
Department of Biological, Geological, and Environmental Sciences
Cleveland State University
Cleveland, Ohio, 44115

Phone: [216] 697-4820
Fax: [216] 523-7175