Hi, all

Sorry about that last message, but I just had to get it out, plus I
hadn't gotten to the message to drop the tread about Millennuim.....  I
was just trying to wish everyone a happy new year and say that there
were no problems up here in canada.....

Now for my problem..... I any one cares.....

I'm running Mandrake 6.0 that I got from a CD in a mag (MaxiumLinux)
first problem is that I cannot upgrade to 6.1 that I found on
ftp.linuxberg.com (tucows) when goto upgrade and then tell the program
where to find the installation on my HDD, it finds it, but a short while
later, it tells me that it cannot find the RPM database, ask me to
retry, I do then it quits with an error and sends the kill signal.....
tried serval times......  I thought maybe I have to make a boot disk for
6.1 and that my 6.0 disk simply won't do but, when I try to make one
using dd <boot.img> /dev/fd0 it copies all the files but one, my guess
is it the boot kernel.....

But right now that's the least of my problems,
Couple of nights ago I started trying to setup FTP and Telnet, so that I
could work on my server at work (telnet) on my down time.  I'm on
rogers@home (cable modem service) and I keep running into the same
problem.....
I'm using static IP

these are the commands I'm typing at the console....

telnet 24.114.160.210
trying 24.114.160.210
connected to 24.114.160.210
Connection closed by forgein host.....

same thing happens when I try to connect to localhost or 127.0.0.1

the Hash mark is not in the inetd.conf file beside telnet service.....
I've played around with the hosts.allow and host.deny by adding:
(host.allow)
ftp: 127.0.0.1
telnet: 127.0.0.1

host.deny  nothing added

but it doesn't seem to be working...

as for FTP I get connected but I tryed to login and get no where too....
even as anonymous.....  says login failed, also tried localhost....

my Inet service is running....
few nights ago I ran kBeroFTPD just fine, but after installing (not
realizing that it was on the CD) I tried to install Qt from the
internet..... followed instructions and ran into errors.... now I can't
ever get kBero working again, typed it at the console and got a

KCharset:  Wrong charset!

Tried to reinstall BeroFTP and kBeroFTPD but BeroFTP doesn't want to
remove itself from the computer (says BeroFTPD contains multiple
packages) and kBeroFTPD still wont run.... even tried remove Qt and
reinstalling it from the CD (no prob)

Help!!!! SOS!!!!

sorry but that I typed too much, but I just wanted to make sure that I
get an answer that I haven't already tried, besides reinstalling
mandrake, which I know I don't have to do, but thinking about it, and
definally dreading cause I have to recomplie my kernel to see my
NIC.....

When this is all done, we can work on my sound card...... heheh ;-)
Thanks in advanced
Etien