John....I used to have one for my bbs to handle email, it was
ccorner.riverside.ca.us and was free as long as I had it (maybe 3
years).  I gave it up almost a year ago when I closed down the bbs.  I
registered it with internic via email.  I requested by email, they sent
back an ASCII form I returned it filled out with my info and they never
notified me of it's inception.  But it showed up on all the name servers
and at that point I started the email service on my bbs.  I don't know
if the free domains still exist, but if they do you can probably find
out by emailing internic.  I don't remember the email address but you
might start with this one:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Alan