Duncan,

StarOffice is supposed to import Word documents. I'm the renegade in
my office because I prefer it over MS Office. About the only import
problems I've had is where SO places imported grahics in a Word
document.

Also there are two Linux utilities for dealing with these formats. One
converts the .doc files to html, and one is a viewer. I've never used
these so I don't know how well they work.

I can't remember the names of the executables, but John Aldrich might.
They are included with the downloadable version and commercial
versions of mandrake.

You can also go to linuxberg.com and do a search on the names (once
someone sends them).

Last, explain to those sending these documents how to save it as an
rtf and explain why. If more people were informed about this, there
wouldn't be such a headache exchanging formatted text files.

Although MS helped establish the rtf format, now that they're on top
they prefer to keep people ignorant about it.

Sam

On 1/5/2000, 8:53:45 AM, Mike Fieschko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
regarding [newbie] any ideas how to read attached .doc files?please: