Dear friends:

I have just spent a very frustrating three hours trying to install
VMware on my Linux-Mandrake 6.1. I have no idea what's going on, but I
have tried just about everything a non-techie can try. I have tried to
install both the rpm and the tar.gz
file.

Below is the final section of my attempt to install the VMWARE tarball:

None of VMware's pre-built vmmon modules is suitable for your running
kernel. Doyou want this script to try to build the vmmon module for your
system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes]

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
running kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

Extracting the sources of the vmmon module.

Building the vmmon module.

make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware/config/2861/vmmon-only'
make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware/config/2861/vmmon-only'
make[2]: Entering directory
`/tmp/vmware/config/2861/vmmon-only/driver-2.2.13-22mdk'
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/tmp/vmware/config/2861/vmmon-only/driver-2.2.13-22mdk'
make[2]: Entering directory
`/tmp/vmware/config/2861/vmmon-only/driver-2.2.13-22mdk'
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/tmp/vmware/config/2861/vmmon-only/driver-2.2.13-22mdk'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware/config/2861/vmmon-only'
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware/config/2861/vmmon-only'
Unable to make a vmmon module that can be loaded in the running kernel.
There isprobably a light difference of kernel configuration between the
set of C header files you specified and your running kernel. You may
want to rebuild a kernel
based on that directory, or specify another directory.

Execution aborted.

[root@adsl-77-233-152 vmware-distrib]#

As if this is not confusing enough, when I try to rpm it, here is what I
get:

[root@adsl-77-233-152 sher]# rpm -Uvh VMware-1.1.2-364.i386.rpm
package VMware-1.1.2-364 is already installed
[root@adsl-77-233-152 sher]#

So, I typed vmware at the command prompt. This is what I got:

[sher@adsl-77-233-152 sher]$ vmware
VMware is installed, but it has not been (correctly)
configured for the running kernel. To (re-)configure it,
you must find and run "vmware-config.pl".
[sher@adsl-77-233-152
sher]$

So, I went back and reran the command above and got the same question
about the C header directory:

[root@adsl-77-233-152 vmware]# cd vmware-distrib
[root@adsl-77-233-152 vmware-distrib]# ls
FILES  INSTALL  bin  doc  etc  installer  lib  man  vmware-install.pl
[root@adsl-77-233-152 vmware-distrib]# cd bin
[root@adsl-77-233-152 bin]# ls
vmnet-bridge   vmware            vmware-mount.pl      vmware-wizard
vmnet-dhcpd    vmware-config.pl  vmware-ping
vmnet-sniffer  vmware-loop       vmware-uninstall.pl
[root@adsl-77-233-152 bin]# ./vmware-config.pl
Making sure VMware's services are stopped.

Stopping VMware services:
   Virtual machine monitor                                 [  OK  ]

None of VMware's pre-built vmmon modules is suitable for your running
kernel. Doyou want this script to try to build the vmmon module for your
system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes]

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
running kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/src/linux/include

Extracting the sources of the vmmon module.

Building the vmmon module.

make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware/config/3425/vmmon-only'
make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware/config/3425/vmmon-only'
make[2]: Entering directory
`/tmp/vmware/config/3425/vmmon-only/driver-2.2.13-22mdk'
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/tmp/vmware/config/3425/vmmon-only/driver-2.2.13-22mdk'
make[2]: Entering directory
`/tmp/vmware/config/3425/vmmon-only/driver-2.2.13-22mdk'
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/tmp/vmware/config/3425/vmmon-only/driver-2.2.13-22mdk'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware/config/3425/vmmon-only'
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware/config/3425/vmmon-only'
Unable to make a vmmon module that can be loaded in the running kernel.
There isprobably a light difference of kernel configuration between the
set of C header files you specified and your running kernel. You may
want to rebuild a kernel
based on that directory, or specify another directory.

Execution aborted.

You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root
[root@adsl-77-233-152 bin]#

Would really appreciate the help of one of our Mandrake gurus on this.

Thanks so very much.

Benjamin

--
Benjamin and Anna Sher