Joseph,

Yes, it is possible to split users homes on different machines.

BTW, If you want reliability (in case your main server goes down for a
while), you'll have a master NIS server, with secondary NIS "slaves". (the
terms are
not the exact ones, but I don't remember exactly. What I know is that when
you push the tables on the NIS master, it also pushes them on the other
servers).
Else, one single NIS server is sufficient.

On the NIS server, you set up the passwd map (along with the shadow map I
assume, like said before).
You create another map auto.home, that associates loginname and home path.
For instance :

gardnerjs               superman:/usr/home/gardnerjs
gardnerp                spiderman:/home/gardnerp

Where superman and spiderman are two (NFS) servers for home directories.

BTW, the NIS server(s) need not be the same as the servers for home
directories.

And then, (this is the hardest part) you need to have an automounter script
that will check the auto.home map and automount from the right server the
right home directory.

I know this works well since we used it at work, when we have migrated our
users from one server to another. But we use Solaris, and the map/automount
scripts were made by other people and I didn't had a close look to how to do
that...

Good luck,

Mathieu