My advice is to return it and purchase a 3COM/USR modem that comes with
Jumpers on it.  (Or purchase an external modem.  Supposedly 99.9% of all
external modems work with Linux.)  With the jumpers you can set the COM
port.  Then just boot up linux and setup KPPP with the COM port number and
your ISP information.  It should work.

HTH,
Matt