Rodger,

When you partition your HD, be sure to setup a 20Mb partition that starts at
7.8GB from the beginning of the disk.  The BIOS can only see up to the
1024th cylinder (approx 7.88GB from the beginning of the disk).  The OS
allows the rest of the HD to be accessible.  Mount this 20Mb partition as
/boot.  The rest of the partitions are your call.

Also, you may need to read the Ultra-DMA mini- HOWTO.

HTH,
Matt