I am trying to install a program using a ./configure script and I am getting the
following error.

configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create
executables

Is this a problem with my compiler? Which is a version GCC that I downloaded from the
Mandrake 7.0 distribution.

Is it a problem with the ./configure script or the package I downloaded?

Also I am using Mandrake 6.1 so is it possibly an incompatibility between my version
and the GCC I have installed?

I have tried reinstalling the GCC. I have added the dependencies GCC-CPP and GCC-C++.

One problem I did have to begin with was that all the standard libraries could not be
found. Libraries such stdio.h and the like. I found them in the GLIBC library
directory so I copied them all to the /usr/library directory which seemed to fix that
problem.

The package by the way is KMPLOT from the KDE scientific applications directory.

Sorry for the essay.

Cheers

Warren

PS I have attached a small text file of the output generated before the error.

checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... no
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking for a C-Compiler...
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no