John Aldrich wrote:

> Has anyone gotten X to work on a Presario Laptop model
> #1277? One of my co-workers is trying to get Linux
> installed on his laptop and it seems the lcd display won't
> work for him under X. :-(
> Thanks...
>         John

Do you have the right color pitch set for your chipset (video card)?  I
have linux 6.5 on a toshiba sattelite 220 and I had the same problems
with the X server.  You should start with the lowest color pitch and
lowest resolution and work up.
My chipset is supposed to handle 24bpp but will not do it.  The best I
can do is 16bpp.  This looks just fine and works great!  I believe that
16bpp is about 256,000 different colors.  The trained human eye can see
about 2,500.   The normal eye, not trained around 2,000,  me about 750
because I,m colorblind!!!