Somebody said the mount points for your Win98 partitions have to be all
lowercase.  Example: use "/mnt/dos_hda1" instead of "/mnt/DOS_hda1"

I haven't tried it myself, so YMMV

HTH,
Matt

BTW - please let me know if that suggestion works.  I hope to get more time
to spend on Linux and would appreciate your input.