On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, you wrote:
> I am trying to Install Mandrake 7.0(Air) but have a problem with mouse
> autodetection.
> My PC motherboard has a PS/2 mouse port (which is disabled in the BIOS) but
> prefer to use my Genius Serial 3 button mouse on COM port 1.
>
> When running the install program it autodetects the PS/2 port but then the
> serial mouse does not work. The Install skips over the mouse installation
so
> there is no way to switch it back to serial. To Install using just the
> keyboard with TAB , SPACE and ENTER keys is very very heavy going !!!
>
> This new graphical install looks very nice, but you try to install with the
> keyboard ;(

Ross Slade replied
>>I have the same problem, I had to go with the "recommended" install then
>>xf86conf afterwards to set up my mouse.
>>
>>Two things make life hard in this case:
>>
>>Not being able to scroll the package list during install. Is there a key
>>combination witch will do this? I cound't find one - if I had a
>>satisfactory install would still have been possible.
>>
>>In KDE <alt>F3  is supposed to bring up the menus, but doesn't. Since it
>>booted straight into KDE I couldn't DO anything without the mouse. How can
>>one exit KDE back to a normal command prompt?
>>
>>-Ross

Melvyn Pearce replied

When in KDE you can use the 'WINDOWS' key on the bottom left of the keyboard
(if you have a windows type keyboard) to bring up the KDE start menus and TAB
and SPACE to select

If you selected KDE to start at boot time, if you reboot and at the boot
prompt type
    Linux 1
you will be booted into a single used shell - useful sometimes