I was trying to decide the best approach for connecting
my old computer to the new one to share my (not yet installed)
cable modem, and printer.

I know Linux supports two network cards and RJ45 wiring between
them (with or without a hub).  Does Linux support the options
that allow you to connect thru your phone lines or AC outlets ?
Do these options really work, and what speed do you experience ?

I understand that the network cards will be the most reliable,
but wiring RJ45 lines would not be simple where I the computers
are. I believe that Diamond now has a 5 Mbps telephone line
option and this seems to be a viable option, since it allows
a PC to be anywhere near existing phone jacks.

What are your opinions or suggestions on this issue ?

Thanks... Dan.