Quite simple.

First edit the /etc/inetd.conf file and uncomment out the telnet line.

Second, type ntsysv from the command prompt as ROOT and then select inetd.

Reboot and you have telnet and inetd working.

For security.....

edit the /etc/hosts.deny file and add this line.

ALL:ALL

then edit the /etc/hosts.allow file and add this

in.telnetd:XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

Where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is either the IP of a machine on your internal
network or some external IP.

What this does is deny all telnet requests except the one you specify.

:-)

Hope this helps.

At 02:11 PM 26/01/00 , you wrote:
>Well I searched the archives on the telnet problem in 7.0 heres what I did:
>
>1) I installed the telnet server per advice given by many here.  That did
>not make telnetting in work.
>
>2) I reduced my security setting in the install to the lowest level.  That
>did not make it work either
>
>4) I checked my inetd.conf to make sure the telnet service was listed and it
>was.
>
>5) Next I RTFMan pages like I should have done first, and learned that when
>/etc/inetd is run, It watches for requests for services and starts them if
>they are listed in /etc/inetd.conf  For kicks and grins, I ran inetd and
>telnet works!  I realize that there may be security concerns doing it this
>way, so two questions for you folks:
>
>A)  How do I get inetd to load on bootup?
>
>B)  How do I make it more secure?
>
>Thanks and I hope this thread helps others.

Zulfiqar Naushad
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ: 6001618