Howdy folks,

I have a distinct feeling that Linux, of any flavor, does not like me...:)

I have Mandrake 6.5 that I am trying to install. I have tried to install it
about six times so far, and each time I have run into the same error. So,
I've finally decided to ask for help :)

First, a little background...

The machine is a Gateway 2000, Pentium 3 500, 128 ram, 2 hard drives [ide]
[20 gig main drive] [13 gig secondary drive]
I am trying to install to the second hard drive [13 gig] that I have
installed into the machine..
I don't know whether the drive I am installing to is a slave drive or not,
I will illustrate how I have it installed below so mayhaps you guys can
tell (a & b are the drives):
[motherboard]---------------[a]-----[b]

The drive I am installing to is the [a] drive in the illustration above.
But, when I am installing linux, I have the [b] drive's power supply cord
unplugged. I have to do this or my computer will not recognise the [a]
drive. I do still have the strip connected to both drives and the
motherboard.

So, I fire up the installation off the boot disk, It gets through every
check fine. Now here's another part that I think may have something to do
with it, but I am not wholly sure.

When it gets to the part of the installation where you select whether you
want a server, workstation or a custom setup I tried following the manual
the first time and selected a custom setup, selecting and deselecting
various packages. This didn't work, the next few times I tried to install I
left everything at default and it still hit a brick wall. Ok, this doesn't
seem to be working, I thought to myself, so I'll try the server and
workstation installations...no dice, same problem....

It was at this point that I decided to write down the error..and hope like
heck someone here can help me. So, for your dissection, I present the error
I got.

The error that I get comes up after about a half hour of the machine
installing packages.

Here is the process the error pops up during: making ext2 filesystem on
/dev/hda5/

Install exited abnormally -- received signal 11
Sending termination signals - done
Sending kill signals... done
Unmounting filesystems /tmp/rhimage/
                        /proc
you may safely reboot your system now
_
^--- that's a  flashing cursor

So, anyone have any advice?

Thank you profusely in advance. Mike Lee

Mike Lee, Web Manager for NEEDS Inc.
www.needs.com [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The three rules of the Librarians of Time and Space are: 1) Silence; 2)
Books must be returned no later than the date last shown; and 3) Do not
interfere with the nature of causality. "
Terry Pratchett - Guards! Guards!