greetings,

I have finally decided to upgrade/install Mandrake 7 over my existing, and
highly customized, mandrake 6.1.  Unfortunally it didn't go well at all.
First, I tried the "upgrade" option and had many programs not working.
Even tcsh doesn't start at all because it isn't loading its default
setting.  The upgrade option also didn't remove the old rpms completely,
thus wastes a lot of disk space.

So I decided to do a fresh install.  I downloaded the ISO image and burned
it to a CD.  However, not matter what install option I tried (from CD,
boot from floppy and install from HD, normal/expert mode), I always ended
up with the same problem.  The problem is, right after the partition is
formatted and it tries to determine what RPMs are available, the
installation process halts with the following message:

"An error occurred:
 Unable to open /mnt/var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm"

After I press OK, another error message appears:

"An error occurred:
 rebuilding of rpm database failed:  failed to open
 /mnt/var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm"

the normal alt-f1 trick doesn't work, so I can't go to the prompt to
see what's going on.  Is this a common problem?  How to fix it?  Did
I get a bad ISO image (I downloaded it the 2nd day MDK 7 was
announced).

any help is very much appreciated,

Elvis