After a clean install of Mandrake 7.0, I restarted my computer (after
properly shutting down). Everything seemed fine. I could boot into both
Linux & into Windows 98 using BootMagic (part of PartitionMagic).
However, the next morning the kernel would not fully load. The following
is a copy of the page of kernel output where it stopped (by the way, I
run Linux from hda3, hda2 is a swap partition and the rest are for
Windows):

    Partition check:
        hda: hda1 hda2 <hda5> hda3 hda4
    Autodetecting RAID arrays
    autorun... DONE
    VFS: mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
    Freeing unused kernel memory: 64k freed
    INIT: version 2.77 booting
                                        Welcome to Linux Mandrake
                                    Press 'I' to enter interactive
startup
    Mounting proc
filesystem
[OK]
    Setting clock: Wed Feb 2 14:36:25 EST
2000                                [OK]

[OK]
    Activating Swap
partitions
[OK]
    Setting hostname
localhost.localdomain                                           [OK]
    Checking root filesystem
    /dev/hda3 is mounted. Cannot continue, aborting

[FAILED]
    *** An error occurred during the filesystem check.
    *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
    *** when you leave the shell.
    Give root password for maintenance:

This only happens when I try to load from the hard drive (hda3). The
boot disc I made during the installation process works flawlessly, and I
can even use X when booted with it. However, I do not want to boot with
a disc every time, nor do I want to use the cut-down kernel that it
contains.
I've tried booting by typing 'linux emergency' at the LILO boot prompt &
unmounting drives using 'umount -a' followed by a reboot. I've also
tried running fsck & e2fsk after unmounting my drives. The first time I
ran fsck it found & fixed several errors.
When I reboot, the OS indicates that it is unmounting filesystems.
Despite these attempts, I received the same error each time I restarted
linux.
I would appreciate any help given, but please keep it simple, as I am
quite new to linux (but not to DOS/Windoze).