Thanks Audrey,  that was exactly what I needed.

Audrey Beck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 02/02/2000 03:37:21 PM

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc:    (bcc: Robert W Franklin/WLGORE)
Subject:  Re: [newbie] Tape drive won't work

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Do you know how to set up a SCSI Exabyte tape drive?

If your scsi card is recognised, then watch when the system boots.  It
should show what linux thinks is connected to the controller.  It's
probably /dev/st0 if it's the first tape drive.  At the command prompt
(logged in as root) enter:
mt -f /dev/st0 status
And check what it gives you.  You can also look at:
cat /proc/scsi/scsi
to see what your controller sees.

Some of the exabytes require special commands to set density etc when
you use tar to backup.  You usually enter them with the mt command.
Enter:
man mt
to see some of the commands.  Some of the tape drives require setup
files, but I don't have any of those (yes!!!), so I just use mt to set
density, partitions, etc and use tar.

One thing to note, if you backup with your tape drive and need to
restore by booting the floppy and rescue disks, you might not be able
to.  I hacked the rescue.img to have what I needed in it and made a new
rescue floppy.  Some of the single disk rescue disks (Tom's boot disk?)
might not require this, so check some of them out and make sure you can
access the tape and do a restore to to another partition or directory to
test.