-----Original Message-----
From:   Paul Derbyshire [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Thursday, February 03, 2000 2:17 AM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        [newbie] Modem driver?

I located my modem at IRQ 3, address 0x02f8, ttyS1. Unfortunately, it is
perpetually "busy" to kppp and minicom, on trying to use it, can't talk
sense to it apparently. I checked, and it's a dreaded "host-controlled"
modem, nearly as bad as a Winmodem. (I didn't choose it; it came
preinstalled by the computer OEM, along with, naturally, Windows 98).
Anyone know where drivers for these can be found? Rockwell's site is a maze
that will turn any sane man into a lunatic in minutes...
It's a Rockwell HCF 56K internal modem. It has fax and voice stuff on it,
but I don't care about getting those working-data would be fine. I tried the
"+H0" in the init string that turns off error correction and flow control,
having read in a HOWTO somewhere that some Rockwell host controlled modems
just offload these functions to software-a rough surf would be better than
no surf. Apparently, it doesn't work with this modem.

--
.*.  "Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not
-()  <  circles, and bark is not smooth, nor does lightning travel in a

Unfortunately, HCF modems are winmodems in disguise.  Need to get another
type or get an external one.
Sorry