i had the same problem.
i fixed it by going back to the installation CDs and running the install
program, but choosing the 'upgrade' option once it got there. i'm afraid i
can't tell you what packages i picked specifically because well, i don't
remember. sorry. BUT if you use your common sense at the package selection
screens (i.e. pick anything that says 'system' 'source' or 'headers',
blablabla), you should have no problems. worst comes to worst, install
everything. (though i assure you, you don't need to install any samba, lan or
other specific non-dialup networking services)
once i did that, my xconfig and menuconfig prgs worked fine. also, make sure
you run make mrproper just prior to running the config programs.

hth,
~p