It seems that Mandrakes graphical installer has its share of
problems handling different video cards and /or monitors.  You will
probably have to do the same as I did, use the Text Install.

to do that, you boot from the CD, and when the text screen comes
up with the different colors of text and has 4 or 5 lines of
instructions about pressing enter, typing expert and etc. just type
"linux text" without the quotes and press enter.  You will be able to
set the parameters for your video card & monitor later and test
them to get them right.

Ray