vi is probably more powerful than pico (as is emacs, my editor of choice),
you just have to know the right commands. Pico, in my experience is enough
for most, and best for newbies.
vi has two modes: command mode ("read only" mode), the function of which
is self explanatory and insert mode which is invoked by typing "i" while
in command mode. F1 doesn't usually give help that I'm aware of... at
least it's not the first thing I'd try in order to get help (pico doesn't
give any help through F1 either). I think typing F1 to get help is, for
the most part, a windows thing.
If you're going to do much work with unix, it's a good idea to know vi
since it's usually the default editor and, if no other editor is
installed, vi will be.

What it comes down to is personal preference... as with operating systems
:)

DvB