I am having a wonderful X configuration learning experience as I
continue to be unsuccessful configurng my monitor for 800x600 res.
Every setting from 1600x1200 32bit through 640x4808bit is great but that
darn 8x6. I have learned of the awe of Xconfig, the wonder of XF86Setup,
the thrill of Xvidtune, and how easily entertained I am by the Xmodline
generator but I have yet to be rewarded with a non flickering 800x600
video display (I even hacked XF86Config). Using Xvidtune I have found a
wide range of values that produce a perfect display but I seem to be
unable to get XF86Config to understand them even though the only
Modeline values left in there are the ones I have manually entered. I
even remembered to enter them in the "Display" subsection. Obviously I
am missing something here (it's a "newbie" thing).
 Here is some info relating to my system, I would be very appreciative
if any of you have any suggestions.

Mandrake 7.0  2.2.14-15mdksmp
Card: Riva TNT2ultra 32meg
Monitor: ViewSonic GS790
H 30-95kHz, V 50-180Hz, 0.7Vp-p
640x480 @ 180Hz to 1600 x 1200 @ 77Hz  NI

Modeline    "800x600"   69.65      800   864    928   1052   600
604    610    640   -hsync  -vsync

This looks just great using Xvidtune but flickers every second or so
when vidtune is not running, every other configuration any of the other
setup tools has come up with does the same thing. I run a dual boot  and
800x600 works fine on the evil O.S.

Thanks !
Larry