> Sam Junge wrote:
>
> Sorry for making this so long, but I wanted to make sure I included
> all the details, so please take the time to read it :
>  I bought Mandrake Linux 7.0, which came with a version of
> PartitionMagic as part of the "extra's" cd. I installed Partition and
> BootMagic on my NEW Windows 98 computer, then installed Linux. I felt
> did not do the best job of installing Linux, so I decided to delete
> the
> partition I created. There was an option in the PartitionMagic folder
> to start a dos program that would delete my Linux partition. I did so,
> and when the computer re-booted the program came up, and I followed
> the
> directions to delete the partition.  I assumed it had worked, but when
> the computer came up again, the partition was deleted but it would go
> into that same PartitionMagic dos program and give me a window to
> click
> ok that said "The Linux Parititon could not be deleted. That operating
> system partition was not found." When I click ok it reboots and does
> the same thing. WHAT SHOULD I DO???? I tried getting fdisk,
> autoexec.bat and a few other things from a different win98 computer
> and
> putting them on a disk. I also did a sys a: from another computer onto
> that disk and put them onto my new computer. This at leasts puts me at
> a dos prompt. I tried typing fdisk/mbr at the c and the a prompts, but
> the computer either doesn't recognize them or it doesn't change
> anything. There is no windows directory at c, so I can't really run
> anything. People have told me to get a win98 boot disk, but I don't
> have one / know how to make one. What should I do ??? I can't run
> windows, so I am really frustrated. If you've had this problem before,
> please give me a detailed solution.
>  THANKS, Sam

Ok, I think what is happening is that the autoexec.bat or config.sys on
your C: drive have the partition magic running.  If that is not true,
then:
1. Can you get into Safe Mode for windows when booting?
2. If not, the next thing to try is to make a copy of your msdos.sys on
your C drive.  You'll probably need to run attrib -r -s -h msdos.sys to
make it visible in DOS before you can copy it.  Then edit msdos.sys and
change the parameter for bootGUI to 1 (one) (I'm not sure the correct
name of the parameter).  Then try to boot from the hard drive.
3. If it's a brand new system, you should be able to reinstall or
restore Win from a CD included with the system.  This should wipe out
everything.  Then, make the boot disks for Partition magic and boot
magic.  Then try Linux again.