        From:   Lothar Mandrake [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
        Sent:   Wednesday, March 01, 2000 4:09 AM
        To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject:        Re: [Re: [newbie] /usr or /root?]

        >Steve,
        >       If his only partitions for linux (other than swap) are / and
/usr (I
        >believe
        >he meant/ rather than /root),

             Yes, that is indeed what I meant.  I am sorry that I expressed
myself
        so badly.

        >won't /opt be inside the / partition?  That's
        >the usual place for te third party software, like SO he's thinking of
        >using.
        >Might that not make / fill up more quickly.

             That is my concern.  Are there any figures avaiable on how much
space
        is taken up in every file system in the default installation?  What I
mean
        is, are there any numbers for how big the /, the /usr, the /etc, the
/opt,
        the /var etc. partitions absolutely have to be in order to accomodate a
full
        installation, everything included?

        >Perhaps a separate /opt and /home
        >might help.  any thoughts?
        >Mike

             Perhaps I should make separate /etc, /var, /opt, /usr, /, and so
on,
        for every file system?  I'd feel pretty silly if I had made one
partition
        too small and eventually had to reformat and reinstall the entire
system,
        just because a partition turned out to be too small.  That is why I want
        do this right from the beginning.

            Some of the applications I plan to install I guess will end up in
/usr.
        I thought this was where all third-party software was installed, but
        apparently some will end up in /opt?  Is this true?  In that case
perhaps I
        should make a separate /opt instead of a separate /usr?

             I am grateful for all help.

                                               Ian