I lost the original message of the guy who did reply to me, but the
thing is, my soundcard is plug and play and was successfully detected by
Mandrake 6.1. My old Ethernet card wasn't plug and play but 6.1 was able
to successfully configure it on its own. Since then I've gotten a new
motherboard and new Ethernet card and give 7.0 a spin. Manually and
automatically trying to configure both these hardware does not work at
all.

        <:3)~~