hrm. on opensource.creative.com there are emu10k1 drivers (the sblive has an
emu10k1 chipset or whatever) and there's a linux.com article:

http://www.linux.com/hardware/newsitem.phtml?sid=62&aid=6354

...wherein the author describes his triumph over the soundcard. I followed
the instructions in both the aforementioned article and the emu10k1 driver
README file (which differ considerably) with no luck.

what happens (and this problem is probably unrelated to the sblive, but
whatever):

- if I follow the linux.com directions w/o kernel recompliation, the card
does not work, and,
- if I recompile my kernel TCP/IP stops working and I have to resort to
reinstalling mandrake 6.

now, I am no kernel masta (hence my posting this on the newbie list) but
most likely I am doing something dumb doing the kernel compliation part of
this whole mess.

so this might help you, with the sblive card, and if it does feel free to
tell me what it is that I am doing wrong, yo.

thanks

-fish