Dear friends:

Using Mandrake 7.0

Just a while back I told the whole world how, with the help of a number
of list members, I finally solved my kpppd connection problem. Well,
yes, I did. I click on pppd, connect and it goes through the routine (as
I see in the log screen) and soon it CONNECTS at 57,000 or whatever.
Then it says "done" and I turn the log off and I can see by the docked
icon that it is still on and the graph shows kppp to be fully connected
and functioning.

BUT, when I turn on Netscape, Realplayer or my FTP program, all I get is
blank pages with the error message: "server could not be found."

I was fooled earlier because I had my ADSL on simultaneously with my
kpppd. So, while kpppd was indeed functioning, I was surfing the web and
listening to my radio thanks to ADSL, not my dial-up modem.

This time I turned off my ADSL modem, turned off my computer and
rebooted. When I got to XWindows WITHOUT my ADSL, I clicked on kpppd. It
connected but, as I said, I couldn't get to my home page in Netscape
(the N.Y. Times page) It was blank. And I got that "can't connect to
your server" or whatever message.

However, I didn't have any problem connecting to my Unix shell account
at our local Free Net using my minicom communications program. I got in
and got to the New Times page (using Lynx). So, the modem is obviously
able to connect to the outside world.

I can't help but wonder what in the world is going on?

Would appreciate any help or explanations or suggestions.

Thanks so very much.

Benjamin
--
Benjamin and Anna Sher