> Kemal YILMAZ wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I just subscribed this mailing list. And I have some questions as you may
> guess.
> I tries to install Linux-Mandrake 7.0 and i did (I hope)
> but i have to compile kernel, I think. but i didn't do that because i have to
> do that commands in /usr/src/linux, but i couldn't find this directory.
> i just found /usr/src/PRM
> First What should I do ?
> and secondly I couldn't install sound card. I think this problem will be
> solved if i can compile kernel.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Kemal

Kemal,
I think you have to install the kernel-headers and kernel-source rpm packages,
and then you'll have the /usr/src/linux directory. Use the Kpackage program and
have it search on the installation cd for uninstalled programs (I don't know the
path on Mdk 7.0, but it's probably something like /dev/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMs --
the key is to point to the directory where all the rpms are). Then you can find
these in the list and install them.

BTW, I'm not sure, but the kernel-headers may already be installed during the
installation. You can use the kpackage to look for it, too. Have it list all
packages, then use the find package tool to search for kernel-headers.

Finally, if you are thinking of recompiling the kernel just to get the sound
card working, you might want to try the Xconfig first. I'm not sure how all that
works -- didn't have any sound card problems when I installed, but ask these
guys to guide you through the soundcard setup before going to the trouble to
recompile.

Lance