ln /dev/sda4 /dev /zip

The space between /dev and /zip is your typo right?

Steve Flynn
IBM MVS Operations Analyst

"Doug Hussey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 24/02/2000 16:38:51

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc:    (bcc: Steve Flynn/UK/Contr/IBM)
Subject:  [newbie] Zip drive/System Crash

Hi I am new to linux. I have been running mandrake 7.0 for the last couple
of weeks and the system has been running great.

I decided to try and install my ext iomega (100 meg)  zip drive.

This is what I did, I logged in as root. I followed the instructions
mandrake has on its web page.

modprobe ppa
mkdir -p /mnt/zip
ln /dev/sda4 /dev /zip

echo '/dev/zip /mnt/zip vfat noauto,user 0 0' \ >>/etc/fstab

Now after doing all of this I set up a desktop icon however in the new file
device name I just called it ZipDrive without any extension like .kdelnk

I filled in the rest of the boxs under device /dev/zip
mount point /mnt/zip
filesystem vfat

after doing this I put a disk in the zip drive clicked on the desk top and
everything worked just fine

However the big problem I have is now when I try and reboot the system I
get
an error message and the system will not boot.

I get this:

checking root filesystem
Fsck.ext2(null):
The superblock could not read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesytem(and not swap or ufs or something else) the superblock is corrupt

Is a directory while trying to open /     failed

The system then allows me to log in as root to attempt to fix this problem

Can someone help me with this problem or explain what I have done wrong.
Thanks once again I am very new to linux.

Doug