:~>My questions:
:~>
:~>1) Is it possible to say that I don't want networking installed during the
:~>installation process, but after installation is complete to install the
:~>appropriate driver (already downloaded from the SMC website) for the NIC and
:~>can configure networking (eth0) at that point?
:~>
:~>2) If so, how?
:~>

Sure. You have several possibilities to do so:

1) compile a kernel with driver for your NIC card in it
2) explicitely load the kernel module for your card on boot
3) put something like "alias eth0 3c59x" (this is obviously my 3com card)
in /etc/conf.modules

(my suggestion is to load the module with "modprobe" first, just to see if
it works, then edit the conf.modules and reboot. )

Once you have your computer so far that it actualy recognises the card,
you have to configure the network - for instance with linuxconf. Also make
sure that "/etc/rc.d/init.d/network" gets started on boot in the
runlevels 3 and 5.

cu
        Denis

Mag^H^H^HDr. Denis Havlik  <http://www.ap.univie.ac.at/users/havlik>
University of Vienna    |||     e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Austria                (@ @)       tel: (++431) 4277/51179
"Computers in the future may weigh no more that 1.5 tons."
(Popular Mechanics, forecasting future technological advances)