I just went through this myself.  Do this:

    cat /var/log/messages

If it displays too much information, or you see no xdm entries then try
this:

    grep xdm /var/log/messages

It'll tell you what's missing.  I use kdm (xdm replacement).  After
upgrading from Mandrake 6.0 to 7.0 kdm was working, but it would only start
in failsafe regardless of which wm was selected.  I was able to work around
this by typing "startkde &" at the xterm window and KDE would work fine.
Since I have more pressing matters to work on I just dealt with it.  Well,
last night I was searching the logs for DENY messages from my firewall and
noticed that xdm was failing on the file /etc/.../Xsession  <-- can't
remember exact path, but I think it was /etc/X11R6/xdm.  I took a peek in
that directory and there was no Xsession file.  There was an Xsession~
(backup) and an rpmsave.Xsession, but no Xsession.  Both of the
aforementioned backup files were dated the same so I did a:

    cp Xsession~ Xsession

Ever since my system is working as expected.  If you're not using kdm then
I'd take a look in your $HOME directory.  It's missing the necessary file to
start KDE.  If memory serves you need the line:

    exec startkde

in your .xsession file ... could be wrong on this one.  Check
http://www.bigfoot.com/~bill.mote where I've written a now outdated
installation page for KDE.  It should have the information you need about
which file in $HOME to modify.

Bill Mote