type "mount /dev/hardware_device /a/directory" as root to mount something.
The CD-ROM would command would most likely be "mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom" for
you, and for floppys it's "mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy". As for the CDR, I've
seen several different hardware ID's for it, mine personally is sr0 but I"ve
seen stuff like hdc too. Look in /var/log/dmesg and see if you cant' spot in
there what Linux calls your CDR. And from your "input/output error", were you
trying to mount a music CD? Those don't mount under Linux, just use a CD-Player
app to play them, under "Multimedia" in both Gnome and KDE.

--
Anthony Huereca
http://m3000.1wh.com