I am new to Linux Mandrake 7.0 but have had a fair amount of experience
with Slackware and Suse, which I use on dedicated Linux machines.

Howeve, I want to put a version of Linux on a Win 95 box and do not want
to use a UMSDOS system. I have tried using Lnx4win to create a Normal
installation on a 1.2GB root and a 64MB swapfile on a P200 with 64MB of
RAM . The installation itself was VERY slow, taking over 8 hrs to
complete from the CD. However, much worse than that, the Linux system
runs very slowly indeed as far as disc access is concerned, much slower
than a UMSDOS installation of Slackware which I have also tried.

I have tried using PHAT Linux which is, I believe, based on an earlier
version of Mandrake and it is much faster with disc accesses (an order
of magnitude or more). What do I need to do to speed Mandrake up to be
the same as PHAT?

--
Regards, Mike

 Mike Plummer.   Consultant Engineer,  Multimedia Systems Group
 Advanced Projects Group, Philips C.E. Redhill, Surrey UK RH1 5HA
 Phone: +44 (0)1293 81 5235            Fax: +44 (0)1293 81 5050
 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Mobile: +44 (0)7710 414068
 Compuserve: 100137,3545 OR [EMAIL PROTECTED] (being phased
out!)
 Yahoo email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Home email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 He was a wise man, that invented beer. Plato