That's correct.

UDMA/66 only functions under the correct conditions.

(1) BIOS enabled
(2) Proper Hard Drive - enabled by factory or utility
(3) Proper 40-pin 80 wire cable
(4) Operating System supports it.

Mandrake installs with UDMA disabled - it must be enabled by hdparm.
However, this will only support Ultra-DMA Mode 2 with the current Kernel.
To get Ultra-DMA/66 you must patch the Kernel.  This patch is in testing and
should ONLY be used on test machines.

The patch is for hpt or Promise.  Those of you with the 810, 810e, 820, 840,
596B, 686A must wait for Kernel 2.4... or a different patch.

We've written this article that includes instructions for hdparm.

http://www.linuxtests.org/articles/harddrives/udma/index.htm

Please let us know if you have any questions or suggestions on how to imrove
the article.  We'd love your feedback.

There are also links to the Mini-HOWTO on Ultra-DMA and links to
http://www.linuxnewbie.org which are extremely valuable.

--
Linux Tests
http://www.linuxtests.org